DIY Dreamcatchers!

DIY Dreamcatchers!

In my recent post, “The History and Story of Dream Catchers” I mentioned that I was going to be making a dream catcher of my own. Well, here it is! 🙂 I included pictures and directions as well! I think dream catchers are absolutely beautiful, creative, and fascinating. Don’t you?

Did you ever have a dreamcatcher as a kid? Or currently have one now? I did, and still do. I’ve always thought about making one myself but I never got around to it. Recently, I finally made up my mind to make one so I went searching online to learn how. This would be fun to make for yourself or even for your kids/family members to make! Enjoy 🙂 I was pretty excited to make this because this is my first one ever! And it definitely won’t be the last!

What You’ll Need:

Metal ring (the size is up to you. I used one that measured 10 inches)

-Scissors

-Glue, this is to help seal the knots so it doesn’t come undone and beads. I used a hot glue gun but another good idea is superglue. Whichever glue you use, you want it to dry fast and be clear.

-String (This is for the webbing on the inside of the ring and the bottom hanging part; you can choose any color you like)

-A few large paperclips

-Beads

-Feathers (I used two different kinds of feathers-fluffy pure white and striped patterned brown)

Suede Lacing (Enough to tightly wrap around the metal ring)

-If you want extra things hanging on the bottom, good ideas are: lace, shells, string, beads, etc.

Directions:

*If my directions are hard to follow or you just need more visual, I also posted a few pictures to help on the bottom of this post. I will be happy to help if you have any questions as well!

diy dreamcatcher!

1) First, get all of your materials ready. Then, begin wrapping the ring with the suede lacing. Place a paperclip on the starting end to hold it down while you continue to finish wrapping the rest of the ring.

diy dreamcatchers!

2) To seal the two ends together, I used a hot glue gun. I glued the end pieces on the back, so that it didn’t show on the front of the dream catcher. Remember to remove the paperclip but still hold the ends together; you don’t want it unraveling. I only put enough glue to seal and hold it in place (I put a little on the sides and top of the ends). You want to use a glue that dries quickly.

diy dreamcatchers! diy dreamcatchers! diy dreamcatchers!

3) Then, I got out the string I was using for the webbing and paper clipped one end to the top (where we just sealed the ends of the suede lacing; make sure it is firmly holding the string because it will be getting tugged and pulled on).

4) Wrap the string around the ring as shown above. The best way I can describe it is: “under-over-under-over”. You definitely do not want it as loose as the picture above, that is just to help show you how. You want to have the string a little tighter/closer to the edge of the ring. Trust me, I started over 3-4 times before I finally got it the way I wanted it lol. So don’t worry if you mess up the first time!

diy dreamcatchers!

5) Continue to wrap the string the same exact way. You are going to do this the entire time until you get to the center. You are going to wrap the string on every straight line as shown above (where I have the scissors pointing). There are also other helpful pictures on the bottom of this page.

diy dreamcatchers!     diy dreamcatchers!

6) Once you get to the center and the middle opening is as small as you like, create a loop and tie a double knot. I made the knot on the back of the dream catcher. Make sure it is right against the opening because you will be cutting off the excess string and you don’t want anything hanging down. To be sure that it was secure, I placed a small, small drop of hot glue on the knot.

diy dreamcatchers!     diy dreamcatchers!

7) Using a piece of suede lacing, create a ‘hanger’ on the top of the dream catcher. This will go over the same place where you glued the ends of the suede lacing that you used for the metal ring.

diy dreamcatchers!

8) It’s now time to add the hangings for the bottom of the dream catcher! I used dark brown beads, the white string that I used to make the webbing inside of the dream catcher, patterned brown feathers, and fluffy pure white feathers (to add fullness). So get out your feathers, glue, scissors, string, and either a paper plate or old newspaper so the glue doesn’t get all over the surface you are working on.

diy dreamcatcher!

diy dreamcatchers!

9) Measure how long you would like the bottom to be and double it; you will be looping/tying the string around the ring and it will create two sides. I did this three times as you can see: one in the middle and one on each side. I know this sounds a little confusing so I hope the pictures above help!

I first used the suede lacing but I didn’t like it. So then I used the white string instead and I liked it much better. I also started out just using the brown patterned feathers but I didn’t like that either. This is when I decided to add fluffy feathers to add fullness. That is exactly what it needed! I chose to add the pictures above to really show you exactly what I went through and had to change.

diy dreamcatchers!     diy dreamcatchers!

10) This is optional, but if you are using multiple colors/types of feathers like I did, you can lay them out to design a pattern for each string. This is shown above. I also took an up-close picture so you could see the patterned feathers I used.

diy dreamcatchers!

11) Then, place one bead on each side of the string (I started on the left side) until you get it as close to the ring as you want. Then stick the feather(s) through the bead. I had to cut the excess length on the tops of the feathers a little bit to get them to fit into the beads and not stick out. Once I had the feathers placed as far as they could go (not popping out of the top of the bead though), I placed a drop of hot glue on top to seal them in.

diy dreamcatchers!

12) Repeat the step above (Step 11) until you’re finished. Space out the beads as far as you want them (I made the mistake of putting them too close together so it was a little clumpy; I have 5 beads total on the side sections and 7 beads total on the middle section. When I was also placing the feather(s) into the beads, I always kept the feather(s) under the string that was coming through the bead. I know this sounds confusing so hopefully the picture above helps! 🙂

diy dreamcatchers!

13) You are going to repeat the same thing for all three sections. Double check everything to make sure all feathers and beads are secure. Whatever excess string you did not use, you are now going to cut it off- which is the final step! As you can see in the picture above, I cut the excess string right where the last bead is; I cut it as close to the bottom of the bead as possible without ruining anything.

DIY Dreamcatchers!

Then, you’re done! 🙂 You are now able to hang up your beautiful dream catcher!

Yes, there are many other ways of making dream catchers, especially since there are other designs you could do, but this is mine. I hope my directions and pictures were clear enough to understand; if not, please feel free to leave a comment or question below and I will answer back as soon as possible! 🙂 I tried my best as some things were a little hard to explain! Lol. I hope you understand!

Here are a couple helpful pictures that I mentioned in the beginning of the directions!

Source

Source

52 Comments

henry
    April 25, 2016 at 12:01 pm

speaking of dream catchers my friends. imagine i paid $190.00 for one. today it is worth $375.00.. it has feathers, animal skins, fox tails, beads, etc etc. it is 24 inches circled wide, by 42 inches hanging long. It is my casino player good luck charm dream catcher. bought it at an indian casino store. have hit many a jackpots with its magnetic spiritually aimed good luck charmers. if i were able i would attach a picture of it here. but no attachments can be made. anyway, that is my dream catcher story.

susan gale
    February 6, 2016 at 9:31 am

It is so sad that this sacred item is now seen as a craft project. Making it properly requires ceremony and specific prayers which are different for different tribal nations. Each component has a specific meaning and takes days to come to an understanding of what it means to the individual who is creating this sacred object. Please, no one think you are making an authentic dream catcher that will work for you as it is intended.

Kimberly
      February 8, 2016 at 7:25 pm

We aren’t making a sacred object Susan. We are simply honoring the beauty of dream catchers by recreating our own version of it.

susan gale
        February 9, 2016 at 3:19 am

Dream catchers are sacred objects to the traditional indigenous. If you are making a craft, then please do not talk about them catching bad dreams. It can’t be both ways. Just say you are making an ornament based on the indigenous dream catchers.

Kimberly
          February 9, 2016 at 3:15 pm

I appreciate your feedback Susan but there is no mention of catching bad dreams in this post.

• susan gale
            February 9, 2016 at 3:43 pm

I hope this helps!

Egle
    January 22, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Hello,

I wonder where I can found Metal Ring, string and Suede Lace for dream catchers ?

Crystal glaneman
    January 12, 2016 at 2:12 am

I love making dream catchers but I make them with just beads. But I need different ideas like I want to start making them with pic in the middle of them, But I don’t know what to call them or how to go by to look them up to order them if any one can help me out wood you places message me. Think you

Kimberly
      January 13, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Hi Crystal: You could use embroidery hoops to attach a picture to the inside and then work around it to make a dream catcher.

Laurie P
    October 3, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I still have the Dream catcher that I made when I was 10. It hung in my room til I moved out of my parents house. Perhaps I should make one with my girl over the weekend! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jamie Wrimer
    September 24, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for these tips! It has been hard to get the netting down until now. Dream catchers are complicated and I didn’t realize it would be so much easier to make one on a table rather than a lap. Also, laying out the feathers before hand is easier than doing it when the time is necessary.

Aditi
    July 7, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Nice and easy… Thanks a lot… I love making stuff <3

Kimberly
      July 7, 2015 at 1:58 pm

You’re welcome! We love making stuff too =)

100 Things to do When You’re Bored! | Casually Kristin Clementine
    April 27, 2015 at 5:09 pm

[…] Make a dream catcher http://savingmorethanme.com/2013/06/diy-dream-catchers […]

Dream Catcher Nightmare | CraftFail
    February 11, 2015 at 10:00 am

[…] DIY Dreamcatcher by Saving More Than Me […]

Kayla
    October 8, 2014 at 9:06 pm

How and when did you put the spirit bead on? 🙂

Tina
    September 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm

I love dreamcatchers. although I am not all that crafty, I think I could make these. thanks.

serah kavaliku
    September 5, 2014 at 1:21 am

what can you use instead of suede lacing?

Norene
      November 12, 2015 at 8:42 pm

You can use ribbon, wool, strips of materials.

DIY Peacock Dreamcatcher!
    June 4, 2014 at 5:33 pm

[…] The History and Story Behind Dream Catchers            DIY Dreamcatchers! […]

Dede
    April 15, 2014 at 8:52 pm

My sister in law asked me where she could buy a dreamcatcher (for her daughter…long story) and I had no idea. Now I can show her how to make one. Thanks a bunch!

Amy Orvin
    March 16, 2014 at 10:37 am

That looks pretty easy to do. I love dream catchers.

Kylene
    March 3, 2014 at 1:25 am

Hello! Thanks for the directions!! May I ask where did you get your metal ring from??

Donna M. Clark
    December 14, 2013 at 5:31 am

Your directions are very clear. I think I am going to be making one of these for my mother. She had one a long time ago, and somehow lost it.

Anaynomus
      January 14, 2014 at 9:26 pm

you are really nice to so that for your mother

joslyn
    December 3, 2013 at 1:21 am

Thanks for the directions! Easy to follow… my dreamcatcher turned out very well!

Sylvia
    November 16, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I sure did have one as a child, and I have one I made in school packed away. I think this is a good project to do with my kiddos… Im going to print this off and get the supplies needed! Thank you

Rhonda Martin
    November 16, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I used to make these all the time and I had one hanging off the mirror of my car and one on my wall in my office at work and one in my house. I just loved them. What I like most is no two are alike. You did a great tutorial. If you don’t have any white thread to make the webbing you can always use dental floss. I actually liked using it better because it was a bit sticky and not so slippery so it was easier to do. I also went out side and cut some brush branches and made a circle ring out of them just by weaving it around itself. Then when you add the floss for the webbing it ties it together forever. I also use pheasant feathers they look great on them mixed with a large turkey feather. They look more natural and real.

Kat Kaser
      September 27, 2015 at 7:04 am

Great idea! Im going to try!!(=

Sarah Chandler
    November 15, 2013 at 4:20 pm

This is so neat!! Looks so cool! 🙂 God bless!

Alyssa
    November 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I was just curious how much of the suede you ended up using

Kimberly--Blog Owner
      November 13, 2013 at 1:46 am

We didn’t measure Alyssa. We just kept wrapping until the ring was covered. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

Chrissie
    November 6, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I love the way you did your dream catcher!!!

Marc
    September 29, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Very grateful for your directions. I am not a handy person, it took me two afternoon to complete mine.
    Much blessings,
    m

heta s
    September 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm

when I started reading the post, I thought it will be something I could do with my 10 yr old but your pictures and end result is so pur….rfect that I wonder even I can do it or not!. But I am going to try and will eventually teach at least my 11 yr old daughter.

Helen
    September 11, 2013 at 1:04 am

these are so pretty and yours turned out perfect. I am going to try with my more artfully capable friends because I want one 🙂

Cayla
    September 6, 2013 at 8:30 am

Hey, I just found this blog when looking for a dreamcatcher how-to, and this is immensely helpful; thank you!

Dreamcatcher Earrings | asamatterofcrafts
    August 22, 2013 at 8:52 pm

[…] are easy enough to follow along, if not here are some other instructions I found provided by savingmorethanme that does a great job in describing this technique. Remember, you don’t necessarily have to […]

Mya Murphy
    August 15, 2013 at 10:05 am

Wow, I have never thought about making my own dreamcatcher, and I am going to try this. I’ve bought them in the past, and they are expensive. I am not very crafty, however…lol. I cannot foresee this working for me, but we’ll see.

Kimberly--Blog Owner
      August 21, 2013 at 2:51 am

Give it a try Mya! It’s easier than it looks–honestly. We had to practice a few times ourselves 😉 Good luck and send us a pic if you make your own!

Ashleigh Swerdfeger
    August 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Those are really pretty~ I want to make one with my family. The instructions are great and make it seem much less complicated than others I have seen.

vanessa
    August 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Okay, so It’s a question that I’ve always had, but Is this dreamcatcher Also for repelling nightmares?

Kimberly--Blog Owner
      August 21, 2013 at 2:48 am

Vanessa: The theory is that your potential bad dreams get caught in the web of the dreamcatcher so you don’t have them. So yes, the dreamcatcher is supposed to help with nightmares. It’s best to hang the dreamcatcher as close to the person’s bed as possible–and usually hanging above the head. Most people hang them on their headboard.

I hope this helps!

vickie
    August 6, 2013 at 7:01 am

Great directions on how to make dream catchers, picture were great. Something I think we all were fascinated by as a kid (I was), It’s very pretty!

Molly Amon
    August 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I love dream catchers and I am planning on making one for my friend. So glad I finally found a good tutorial. thank you.

Sarah L
    June 22, 2013 at 12:59 am

Nicely explained and a beautiful outcome. Thanks.

Caren Gittleman
    June 21, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I have one of these hanging over our bed!!! I am BEYOND craft challenged but this looks like it is so much fun!!!

Kristin Sawatzke
    June 21, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I used to make these with my mom as a kid and would love to teach my daughters how too!