You won’t believe what I made this wall décor out of! It’s an item that we use every day! Well, I was browsing Pinterest one day and I just happened to come across a pin in the DIY&Crafts section that I thought looked really interesting. I clicked on it and read more and thought, “Hey that would make a really good project to do”, especially since I’m always looking for new things to try and make. Do you have any ideas yet?? Well, it’s made out of paper towel and toilet paper rolls!
Want to make this project or a similar one?? Well, start collecting! Why not make use of something that you were going to throw away anyway?? Below I have written step by step instructions for this one that I made. I will also be making a lot more similar projects since I have collected so many left over rolls (I got a little over prepared since I didn’t know how many I would need lol). 🙂
What You’ll Need:
-Paper towel or toilet paper rolls (the amount will depend on how big of a project you’re making)
-Wood (I got a total of 3 pieces from Home Depot measuring: 2 feet long, ½ inch thick, and 1 ½ inches wide. I cut one in half, so I then had a total of 4 pieces)
-Glue (I used tacky glue but I recommend a faster drying glue: superglue for example)
-Thin, small nails. You can use short ones on hand. Do not use too long of nails because otherwise it will crack the wood when you nail them together for the frame. (I learned the hard way and had to go back to Home Depot to get new ones =/ )
-Metal hangers (I used large sawtooth hangers)
-Paint, in the color of your choice. (I used ebony black, Americana Acrylic Paint)
1) Get all of your materials ready: wood, paper towel/toilet paper rolls, scissors, glue, hammer and nails. Also, I did not use all of the rolls in the first picture above! Lol. So don’t get worried that you would need to collect that many.
2) Start cutting the rolls by flattening them and cutting them width-wise. I didn’t cut anything larger than ¾ inch wide. For the vines, I just cut one of the pieces again on the creased part (just one side) and straightened it out. To curl it, either use your finger or a pencil, depending on how big or tight you want the curl. Wrap it around about half way then take it off. Then on some, curl it on the other side in the opposite direction. I did keep straight pieces to attach the flowers together. In the above picture are some examples.
3) After you cut as many as you need, start pairing the pieces together for the flowers.
4) Get out the wood pieces and put it in the shape you want for the frame. I made a rectangle. At this point, I didn’t cut the wood yet because I didn’t know what size I wanted it. I eventually cut the third piece in half to make the top and bottom piece of the frame. I got out my nails and hammer and started putting it together! To make it extra sturdy, I nailed 3 nails on each side. Yes ladies, I built the frame by myself! We don’t need “men” to do it. Lol 😉
5) Then, start figuring out the design you want and lay it out. Towards the end of this project, I did slightly change my design idea than the picture above. This was just a ‘rough draft’. However, I did make it very similar to my inspiration for this project because I fell in love with it.
6) I took multiple pictures to remember my design later when I was finished painting the pieces and about to put it together. This definitely came in handy!
7) I then started to glue my ‘flower petals’ together. As I said before, try to use a faster drying glue. I learned my lesson! It took foreverrr to hold the pieces together until they dried. Ughh.
8) Well, time to paint! I first spray painted the frame but I didn’t like it. It came out very uneven because it just soaked up into the wood and I also didn’t like the glossy look. So, I went over it with the same paint that I am painting the flowers with; which is Americana Acrylic Paint in ebony black. I like it much better! 🙂
9) As you can see, I rearranged my design idea a little bit. I made 2 six petal flowers, 3 five petal ones, and 2 three petal/half flowers for the edges. This became my final draft, except I added a few extra little pieces I had.
10) Then, after the paint dried on the frame, I got out the large sawtooth hangers that I was putting on the back and nailed it on. This was a little tricky because the nails for the hanger were so small, but I did it!
11) Now it’s time to start painting the flowers! I got out my multi-sized paintbrushes, a cup of water to rinse off the paintbrush, my flower and vine pieces, old newspapers, and the paint.
12) Then I got to work! I first painted the outsides and used a medium sized brush so it covered more at a time.
13) After all of them dried, I started on the insides. This of course took a little longer to do. I still used the same medium sized paintbrush.
14) Next, I used one of the smaller paintbrushes to paint the edges and the spots I missed. (I’m a little OCD and I wanted everything completely covered lol) The last picture is of all the finished pieces! 🙂
15) After everything was done and dry, I laid down some old newspapers on the floor (you can do this on a table of course) and placed my frame and design on top of it. It’s time for the final touches! Then I started gluing away! I did the edge pieces first and worked my way inward. This definitely took me awhile because I had to wait so long for the glue to dry. The second picture above is the glue I used for this project (again use superglue or something similar! Not this).
16) Here is the finished project! 🙂 I’m so happy it’s done. I didn’t know if I liked it better horizontal or vertical. But I think vertical!
This is the first time I’ve ever tried something like this so of course it’s not perfect, but I still love the way it came out. I tried my best and that’s all that matters. I just know what to do next time now to make it even better!
Below is a picture of my project after I hung it up on the wall:
There are soo many projects that you can make out of empty paper towel and toilet paper rolls. The ideas are endless! For other ideas for projects to make, I definitely recommend searching on Pinterest (DIY toilet paper rolls) or use the source that I got my inspiration from, which I listed in the beginning of this post (it has 50+ ideas). Please let me know if you make a similar project! I would love to see how it turned out. 🙂