Dear Readers: We Need Your Help. Heartbreak Has Hit One Of Our Own.

FloridaAngelStatue by crimsonbeloved, on Pix-O-Sphere

***NEW***Here is a link to Todd’s online obituary. You may light a candle or leave a few kind words if you’d like.

I don’t want to write this post because I don’t want it to be real. I can’t believe it’s real. For those of you that haven’t heard, a fellow blogger has tragically lost her husband. Todd was killed by a car —around 4 am, September 1st. He was killed as a pedestrian.

What makes this even more difficult is the fact that Caity {blog owner of Flippin’ Deals} is currently pregnant. In addition, Todd leaves behind two little daughters that are no doubt devastated. At the age of 26, Caity is now a widow. She has lost her partner, her best friend, the love of her life.

Since Todd was the primary income earner for the household, there are some urgent needs. Rent and utilities must still get paid. Food still has to be purchased. Household supplies are still needed. Well, you get the idea. Then, there are the burial expenses….it just breaks my heart  to say that.

Caity has been an online friend of mine for over three years now. She is one of the sweetest people I know. She has even contributed posts to Saving More Than Me. Most of all, Caity is my friend.

So how can you help? Donate whatever you can. Any amount that you contribute goes directly into Caity’s Paypal account.

If you are unable to donate at this time, please share this post—help spread the word.

You can also show your support by visiting Caity’s blog—>Flippin’ Deals.  A friend of Caity’s is currently posting there to keep the blog active.

Prayers for the family are encouraged.

Soar with the angels Todd….

Comments

1. says

My heart goes out to Caity and her family. As a pregnant woman with a 3-year-old boy myself, I cannot imagine the grief and pain she is feeling. I hope my donation will go a long way for her family!

What you are doing here is an amazing thing. You are truly a great friend to have! Thank you for making it so easy for us to send money to her family! Caity is lucky to have someone like you to support her at a difficult time like this. Hopefully, I will be back to give some more if I can within the upcoming weeks.

Thinking of Caity and her family … * <3

2. Carly says

I will NOT be donating and here’s why:

There is no evidence to me AS A READER that this horrific accident is in any way connected to this blogger. I went to this person’s blog. There is no blog post informing her readers what happened. She’s still posting coupons and deals as of September 5th, which, frankly, I find odd given the circumstances. Her Twitter has made no mention of this incident.

As a reader who is not familiar with this woman or her blog, how am I supposed to interpret this information? Especially when the internet is littered with scammers who have no qualms about making up sob stories for money?

I am not accusing you of lying. I am not accusing her of lying. All I’m saying is that if you want to run a successful fundraiser, then you’re going to have to do more to reassure readers that they aren’t donating to a scam.

• Kimberly {Blog Owner} says

Carly—One does have to be careful when donating money. I absolutely agree. I linked the announcement of Caity’s husband’s death in the post. It links to a news site. Also, if your husband were tragically hit by a car, would you be able to write a blog post? Her blog is currently being run by another admin. Most of us have several people helping to run our blogs.
      You obviously have not been following my blog awhile or you would know I do not participate in scams. Readers either trust my word, or they don’t. If a reader doesn’t trust my word— why follow my site?
      Here is a link to his obituary:

• Isabella P. says

Carly, I fully agree. I’ll keep a eye on Caity’s blog to see what happens but I wouldn’t be willing to donate when the Paypal funds go into Kimberly Conover’s paypal account instead of Caity’s.

• says

I have used the ChipIn widget many times before. It is a very safe, secure, and reliable way to donate or even combine funds for a family reunion or party! The organizers email is ALWAYS “connected” and you can easily try it out for yourself and notice your own email is attached. This is true of any other bloggers that are using this widget to raise funds for her family.

I know other bloggers are raising funds and their email addresses are also on the widget, but I prefer to ‘chip in’ and donate through Saving More Than Me – definitely trust her the most..Either way, I can see Caity’s email address and that is a guarantee that the funds are going in the right hands. :) This is Caity’s real email address anyway for PayPal, so I am far from concerned. I am just happy that I can help her out!

• Isabella P. says

I’m not accusing you of anything. As someone who’s never used ChipIn, that part that caught my eye was that your email address was listed. That doesn’t make me feel very secure. There are too many people that prey upon the situations like this to make many of us feel okay when there is even the SLIGHTEST chance the money isn’t going where it is supposed to. That’s nothing against you, just a sad fact about how things seem to be lately.

As Nicole recommended, I tried making a widget and playing with the settings. I WAS able to change the PP email to cpevey@ymail.com and then it displayed as yours. Therefore, I do believe this goes directly into the PP account for cpevey@ymail.com (Caity).

After rereading my initial comment I should have said “funds APPEAR TO go into” and I apologize for leaving those two words out as that completely changes the tone of my sentence.

3. Sylvia Ortiz says

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend’s husband. I will keep her and her family in my prayers (daily), as well as share this post to others.