It’s that time of year. Summer is ending and it’s time for everyone to get back into gear for school. No matter what grade you are entering, there are a few things that every student can do to ease the study woes.
Let’s talk about how to buckle down, concentrate and get into study mode.
- Ensure that you have taken good notes. This is the first step to a successful study session.
- If you find that you need help in this area, speak with your teacher/professor and ask for help. They will appreciate your proactive approach to improving your study habits.
- Have a designated place to study.
- Make sure you can have a quiet and comfortable study time.
- Not so comfortable that you could fall asleep but comfortable enough that you can concentrate and not be sidetracked with aches and pains.
- Set yourself up for success with the right environment,
- Silence, music, an open window, or whatever else will help you to stay on task.
- Everyone’s environment will be different. Ensure that yours is the best for you.
- Make sure you have everything you need before you get started.
- Pencils should be sharpened, pens in place, enough paper, printer ink, computer optimized, and even a snack and a drink by your side.
- If you do not have your assignments, contact someone who can give them to you. Do not use this as an excuse to procrastinate. Even call our teacher if you have to, being honest will go far.
- Set a timer for one hour. After that hour is up, stand up and stretch and move around.
- This is important for your health and to break up the monotony of a long study session
- Consider setting up a study group, once a week, with classmates.
- This will help you to make sure you have all bases covered.
- Compare and contrast your notes.
- Quiz each other on the content you have been learning.
I hope that you will find some of these tips helpful. Taking the time to prepare for studying and making the most of that time will prove beneficial in many areas of your life. The discipline needed and the relationships you can build will help to enrich your life both in and out of school.